Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Art Meets Weddings - Robert Yaskovic

December 31, 2004, Oil on Panel, 12" x 18", ©2010 Jennie Traill Schaeffer, Collection of Owner of Yaskovic Wedding & Portrait

On this Wedding Wednesday, Robert Yaskovic, is my featured wedding professional in my series "Art meets Weddings."

About a year and a half ago, a woman came into my gallery inquiring about commissioning a Wedding Cake Portrait for her son-in-law and daughter's wedding anniversary. She said her daughter had seen one of my paintings in the window and kept talking about it. As I got to talking to the prospective client, I learned that her son-in-law was Robert Yaskovic, principal of Yaskovic Wedding & Portrait a local photographer, who I had hired that same week to shoot some photos of my son Joel who was around 10-months old. You can see the entire blog post with some of Joel's pictures here. The painting of the cake was a surprise, so the entire time Rob was shooting pics of Joel, I could say nothing. It was a fantastic secret to keep, and the cake, frosted with layers of coconut was a blast to paint.  It was also one of my first paintings where I included an aspect of the wedding gown.

Joel and Me, ©2009 Robert Yaskovic
That was the start of a great business relationship that is continuing today. Rob and I are well-connected on social media, supporting each others' endeavors, and referring business. Since we first met, Rob has made his way from a developing wedding photographer to shooting photos of food prepared by "blogcomplice," AndrĂ© de Waal, burgers gracing the cover of NJ Monthly magazine, images of Sussex County including Newton and the NJ State Fair, and all the while positioning himself as a niche contemporary, photo-journalistic wedding and portrait photographer with an artful eye. Most recently, Rob was in attendance at Project Self-Sufficiency's Open that Bottle Night where he captured one of my paintings as it sold at auction.

My painting, Jersey Blue, on the Auction Block, photo ©2011 Robert Yaskovic
An exhibit of his food photos was in the works for this month, but due to short time-constraints we decided to delay it. Hopefully Rob will get on the exhibit calendar at TraillWorks next year for a featured exhibit and collaboration. In the meantime, I look forward to more future artistic collaborations, wedding and non-wedding. Thanks, Rob, for all your support! Learn more about Robert Yaskovic and his artful photography on his web site: yaskovic.com. To see a gallery of Wedding Cake Portraits that I've painted, visit weddingcakeportraits.com.

Next Wedding Wednesday I hope to feature another wedding professional that I've worked with in my series of "Art meets Weddings".

Joel, ©2009 Robert Yaskovic

No comments: