Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Art Meets Weddings at TraillWorks on Wednesdays

May18, 2002, Oil on Linen, 16" x 24", ©2009 Jennie Traill Schaeffer, Private Collection

One of the many things I do at TraillWorks, in my spare time, is paint portraits of wedding cakes, aka, Wedding Cake Portraits. It's a great way for me to tie my love of painting with thick oil paints and edible sweets together! I often feel like I'm frosting the cake, in oil. The artistry involved in wedding cakes astounds me and it's an opportunity to create an homage of sorts to these wedding day icons. 

I've been doing this for about five years now, but offering it as a service for about three. Not only have these been presented as wedding gifts, but also as anniversary gifts from one spouse to another, or from parents to their children. In doing these portraits I've gained some awesome clients as well as met some interesting people in the wedding industry.

I was invited to become a member of a private online group, Northern New Jersey Wedding & Event Professionals, by one of the vendors I'm going to profile. Unfortunately due to time constraints with the many avenues my business has taken as well as family obligations with my 2 1/2 year old son, I sometimes feel like a fly on the wall and don't have the time to attend functions and develop more relationships. However, there are several wedding vendors that I have developed really great relationships with or am in the process of it now through this group and outside of it. So for the upcoming Wednesdays I'm going to profile them and write about how we have collaborated and developed business together, through weddings and art!

No comments: