Saturday, February 28, 2009

First Painting of Joel


Joel for a Moment, 5" x 7", Oil on Canvas, ©2009 Jennie Traill Schaeffer

I'm finally sitting down on the computer after consoling Joel to sleep. I'm in the midst of trying to figure out the balancing act of being both a mom and an artist. There was almost a break down.

Saturdays are one of the few days I have to get into the studio and work without interruption. Today, my husband dropped off the baby so he could meet with a business contact. We didn't discuss the length of the meeting. This has left me feeling frustrated by wanting to care for Joel and accomplish some long overdue tasks. For any new moms out there who are wondering how to juggle all of this, my advice is to stay flexible and communicate. Lee and I try very hard to have equitable time with and without the baby, as well as have the needed time dedicated to our work. It doesn't always work out as ideal as we would like, but it is working. I'm much more at ease now that Joel has gone to sleep and have kept reassuring myself of the importance of my husband being able to have this meeting sans Joel. He would do the same for me.

In the chaos of being a mom and an artist with her own studio, I found time this week to complete two small paintings: one of Joel and one, a Morandi-esque still life. Above is the painting of Joel and I'll include the other in an upcoming post.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the portrait of Joel. So soft and cuddly like he is

Unknown said...

Thanks so much!