Friday, January 4, 2008

Beginning of a Residency

I'm back at the computer! I've been at Peters Valley Craft Center in Layton, NJ for three days now. Already in 2 1/2 days working in the studio I've stretched / primed two 3' x 5' canvases and finished a Wedding Cake Portrait that was sitting untended for months at my home studio.

I've never before done an artist's residency and I'm in love with the experience. It dawned on me the first day that I've also never, even in art school, had the opportunity to work solely on my painting. There were always other classes, social distractions, etc. I know I'm going to get a lot of painting done and in just the seven hours I spent yesterday on the cake there were so many things I saw to change and work on.
I hope to blog about three times a week while I'm here to tell you both about being in a residency program and to share what I'm doing.


To the left is a view of my studio taken yesterday. I'm working in the living room of a house that I have to myself. In the center you can see the two linen canvases. They are sized with rabbit skin glue to seal the surface of the linen prior to priming.

No comments: