Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Canonization of a Wedding Cake

Study for Enthroned Wedding Cake, 6" x 8", Oil Pastel on Arches, © 2007

$129
mounted | $149 matted

I've finally started working on a full scale version of my wedding cake today. If you saw my sketches from Italy I made a very quick study of an Antonello da Messina painting that struck me because of the seemingly contemporary approach to its composition. I had intended to use it as a basis for a future painting and 4 months later, here it is.

While leafing through my art history books to find some reference materials for students I came across a painting by van der Weyden entitled The Crucifixion, with the Virgin and Saint John the Evangelist Mourning. Both paintings, painted during the Renaissance, seem to employ a theatrical, modernistic space that I was extraordinarily drawn to. The title for my study is in keeping with the Messina and van der Weyden paintings, as well as my "Sainted Appliances". The idolized wedding cake is now in its proper setting.



No comments: