Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Ah! The Beauty of a Fence

Susans' Fence, Oil Pastel on Arches, 9 3/4" x 9 1/8", © 2007 Jennie Traill Schaeffer

$129 mounted | $149 matted

Email Jennie to Order

"The first man who, having fenced in a piece of land, said, 'This is mine,' and found people naive enough to believe him, that man was the true founder of civil society."
-Rousseau

Unfortunately, a fence can be so old and neighbors can forget who owns their fence which determines what is theirs. Neighbors can be wonderful, they can also be not so wonderful. Lee and I have been blessed by not-so wonderful neighbors and it's been a struggle for nearly two years since our old fence was torn down without our permission by the dears. We've tried talking civilly to them, considered legal recourse which would lead only more aggravation, but without avail. We installed the beautiful dog-ear, board on board fence last fall and no, our neighbors are not now good since we put it in, but we now have our privacy. It was one of the best decisions we've made on our home.

Whenever we sit outside we always note how beautiful our fence is. I wish our situation was easier and we could have made amends, but the fence was the right solution. Last summer my mom gave me Black-Eyed Susans from her garden; this year they doubled in size and are dazzling! When I was thinking about what to draw today for my coffee hour drawing, I realized how beautiful it was outside and went to create the brilliance of my flowers against the fence, against the sky. The image is rather deceiving -- kind of a suburban bliss. Drawing behind my fence I did feel blissful this morning.

No comments: