Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Olive Orchard at Castello di Verrazzano


Olive Orchard at Castello di Verrazzano, Watersoluble Graphite on Arches, 6" x 3", © 2007 Jennie Traill Schaeffer

This was my last Coffee Hour Drawing completed on Thursday of last week. This is one of my favorite pencil drawings to date. I made an effort to keep the drawing somewhat looser and more abstract, letting the white of the paper show through. I have such an easier time with this when the subject is just a landscape. Once you throw buildings into the mix I insist on getting more detailed, even though that may not be what I'm aiming for. That's why artists keep going; to improve, grow, strive towards whatever their vision may be. Stay tuned for upcoming works that progress toward my vision of a blending of abstract-expressionism and realism.

No comments: